Saturday, December 9, 2017

Underestimating My Child With Autism

WHY DO I ALWAYS UNDERESTIMATE MY CHILD WITH AUTISM???


Since Jaxon was diagnosed with a Autism in 2014, I’ve always pushed myself to be strong enough, smart enough, and loving enough to deal with whatever Autism threw our way.  One thing that I still haven’t been able to do is to stop underestimating Jaxon with everything he does. 

A lot of parents live in fear. Fear of the unknown.  Fear of the future.  Fear that one day on a family outing the unthinkable will happen.  You're child with either have a meltdown or wander off.  Or have a meltdown and then elope from the situation.  My main fear was how do I keep Jaxon safe, but still include him in the things that typical kids enjoy doing.

Today was our town parade.  It was also Jaxon's first parade.  Now Jaxon is almost seven, and some may think that it is weird that I waited so long to take him to a parade.  But I know my child, and until this year I worried that he would either run in front of vehicles, run away from me, or melt down because of the noise.  Those fears plagued me for years so we just never went.  But today was the day that I realized that I underestimate that beautiful boy of mine.  He stood next to one of his cousins and waved and yelled "hi" to everyone that passed by.  He had the sweetest giggle when candy was thrown towards him and he thoroughly enjoyed picking it up and keeping it.  Now there were a few times where he got too close to the vehicles but he listened pretty well and he kept having fun.  Anybody who was around would've assumed that he was a typical kid wanting to get as much candy as he could.

Now I'm never one to make it seem like Jaxon is unable to do things.  He can do anything he wants in life.  He is strong-willed and I love that.  But I, as his sole parent have to be there to guide him and to keep him safe.  Before we do anything new whether it be a parade, a dentist or doctor visit, or even going to the grocery store, I always tell myself that it will probably not end well.  I try not to get my hopes up because I never want Jaxon to see my face become a face of disappointment.  So I keep my fears quiet and act normal with Jaxon when we are in a new situation, but I am fully aware and ready to act if I need to.  And you know what?  Most of the time he rocks it!!!  We leave those situations in our dust! 

A couple of months ago I took Jaxon to a pediatric dentist because I figured if he was going to need any work done he would have to be either fully sedated or at least a little loopy.  We went in and in my mind I told myself, "he may not sit in the chair, he may not let them do anything and that's okay".  We at least had to try.  I had my mind set on Jaxon not going to do well.  But guys, my kid is a rockstar! He hopped in that chair and let her brush, he even took x-rays, which as a dental assistant, I figured he wouldn't be able to do.  I was so amazed at how far my boy has come to be able to sit at the dentist and do what was expected with no meltdown. 

The parade and the dentist are just two stories of how I wanted to kick myself when we were done because I underestimated Jaxon.  Now there have been times when we do have a meltdown in a store, and I'm already in the mindset that that will happen.  I like being prepared.  But what I love even more is being so proud of my kiddo at what he can do!!!  The sky is the limit with these kids.  We just need to be there to help them along and catch them if they fall.

Parents, I think it's fine to prepare for the worst when you're in a new environment.  You need to be ready.  Most of us have an escape plan if a situation turns ugly.  But what I don't agree with is limiting your child's place in this world because you're afraid that something bad, or embarrassing will happen.  Don't avoid going to the park.  Don't avoid trying out the new restaurant in town.  Just go for it.  Just prepare for the worst and when your sweet child excels in the situation, you can be blissfully surprised.





No comments:

Post a Comment