Friday, August 11, 2017

It's the Final Countdown!!!

SCHOOL IS STARTING SOON!!!!!!!!!



Jaxon will be starting school this coming Thursday.  He will be in 1st grade!  How did it pass by so fast?  As any parent, I'm always excited for the new school year.  But as an Autism parent, I also have a lot of fear.  How will the teacher be with Jaxon and his needs?  Will his aide be able to guide him the way he needs, or will his behaviors become worse?  Will his new classmates accept him?  Will Jaxon need to be removed from his classroom due to his aggression?  As a parent of an autistic child, the unknown is paralyzing.  I'm a planner and a control freak.  I like to have my lists and the things I need to get accomplished.  I like when things go the way that I think they should.  I try to be as organized as I can when it comes to Jaxon.  Unfortunately, I can't control a lot of the school setting.  I've given my input at the IEP meetings and have had numerous conversations via e-mail.  That's all I can really do.  I'm giving them my sweet child, to educate and mold.  I'm letting Jaxon go into a setting that still makes me uncomfortable sometimes.  If I could shrink myself down and be a fly on the wall, I would be there all day every day.  


I know a lot of it is unnecessary worry.  I know that nobody can love Jaxon and take care of him like I do.  Nobody else knows Jaxon's quirks and how to calm him the way I do.  I can inform the school staff, but I still feel like Jaxon's needs won't be met the way they need to.  I could be completely wrong about this year, and I pray that I am.  I always hope for a great school year.  I just hate that I let one school year dictate how I feel about the years to come.  That is one thing that I will have to get over on my own.  


To ease Jaxon into the new changes that are coming up, I've been talking to him about the new school year.  We've talked about his teacher, his aide, and his new classmates.  We've looked at their pictures, and worked on their names.  I am fortunate in the fact that we live in a small town.  The school is small, and most of the staff know Jaxon. (I'm sure they all know about his bathroom obsession lol)  I always hope that this small community will rally behind our young ones with disabilities and help them grow.


So this year I printed up a pretty good size list of ways that Jaxon can be accommodated in the classroom as well as throughout the school.  Last year I only gave one to his general education teacher.  This year most of the staff that I know will be working with Jaxon will receive one.  Most of the staff has known Jaxon since he was 3.  They all love him and he loves them.  But even then, some people still don't know how to handle Jaxon.  



At open house, I will be giving his general education teacher one of my print outs and a copy of Jaxon's IEP.  His IEP includes a list of sensory items that Jaxon will have in the classroom, so I have all of those in a bin as well.  Those are two things I wish I would've done last year for sure! Jaxon's IEP has to be followed, even on the first day of school.  His teacher needs to be familiar with it! I will also stress to her that daily communication is a must!  Jaxon can't come home and tell me about his day, so I am relying on his teacher to communicate with me.  Nothing is harder than wondering how your autistic child's day at school was because you weren't given a note for that day or even weeks in some cases.  I've learned a lot of things since last year and I'm glad that I am more prepared this year.



*Did you know that Jaxon has become very sensitive to sounds and sunlight over the summer to the point that he needs sunglasses anytime he is outside and his noise cancelling headphones almost constantly? Were you aware that Jaxon's aggression has gotten so bad that we are now going to start ABA therapy?  Did you know that Jaxon loves a schedule, and when it is changed because of an assembly or a school party, it makes him anxious?  When Jaxon is pacing the room and humming what do you do?  If they don't know, they will soon.*






I want this year to go smoothly, and I know that I have done everything I can think of to make that happen.  My mom is going to be taking him up to the school the 3 days prior to school starting.  It will be quiet and calm, so Jaxon will be able to wonder around and get reacquainted with the building.  I think most of us ASD parents know how chaotic open house night can be!  Hopefully these quiet tours will help.



Now we will anxiously wait and see how the first few days go.  Wish us luck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment